Walkable 101: The Walkability Workbook is a free set of documents and slide presentations providing guidance on everything needed to organize community walkability workshops, conduct walkability audits and prioritize changes for a better built environment. The workbook was developed by a team of experts led by the Walkable and Livable Communities Institute, with support from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The workbook is part of a series of walkability tutorials, the Walkable 101 series, which includes several short, educational videos and town-maker’s guide posters, available here.
The walkability workbook includes the following main sections:
- The Facilitator’s Guide – This section highlights activities that should take place before, during and after a walkability workshop.
- Educational Slide Presentations- Four slide presentations communicate key concepts and can be modified to reflect specific community needs:
- Walkability: Making the Case
- Walkability: Principles, Deterrents and Treatments
- How to Use the Survey Tool
- Practicing Assessment
- Notes Section –Presentation notes help facilitators use the slides to explain concepts and audit tools, and modify presentations to meet workshop needs.
- Walkability Toolbox – The toolbox explains key concepts to advance walkability and provides resources for participants to take next steps.
- The Walking Audit Survey Tool – The survey tool helps participants document their walking audit, and includes an example of a completed survey.
So that we can measure the reach of this resource and keep you updated as more materials come available, please provide the following basic information. Your information won’t be shared with any third parties, and you can unsubscribe from our emails at any time. After you complete the form, click the “Send!” button and you will be taken to a download page.
If you have any trouble with the form or can’t download the documents, please contact us directly by phone at (360) 385-3421 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!